Saturday, January 21, 2017

Plus de Dolore

Amici, Americani, Compatriotae,

I have had some more thoughts on suffering. Mostly these are simply pieces of wisdom from my AA sponsor when I was new in sobriety some three or so decades ago. When I complained about why God was letting me go through tough times, why all this "shit" was happening to me, and why there was so much pain, my sponsor said:

  • The pain of growth is required for your maturity. The misery of being an adult child is entirely your option.
  • Remember that 3rd step where you turned your will and your life over to God's care? Well, what He chooses to do with your life is none of your darn business. You lost your license to run things when your drinking and drugging made your life unmanageable.
  • You don't like the shit God throws your way? You ought to be grateful for the vested interest He takes in your life. That's His Special High Intensity Training which He in His infinite love for you provides to keep you sober one day at a time.

St. James the Just
Now my sponsor's sponsor was a Franciscan priest and my priest confessor who always seemed to know just when I would get these talks and would be standing right behind my sponsor smiling ever so beatifically as I got told the truth of the matter. Sadly, however, today when I hear ministers, priests or psychologists talk about suffering, it's all pink flowers and luvy-duvy, feel good crap. The truth is rarely forthcoming.

Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment